The CIHEAM- Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh) and 5 other Mediterranean partners are pleased to announce the launch of the MEDLENTISK project entitled: “Partnership for the exchange of best practices on lentisk tree fixed oil, an emblematic non-timber forest product in the Mediterranean". The project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
Even though lentisk tree (Pistacia lentiscus) is found throughout the Mediterranean area, the composition and therapeutic values of its fixed oil, which seems to have prominent qualities, have been little studied.
The species fruits are processed in a traditional way, which influences the yield and quality of its extracted products.
Partnership Coordinated by the AIFM (Association Internationale Forêts Méditerranéennes), the project will be implemented in 5 Mediterranean countries:
1. France: AIFM (coordinator) and Provence Model Forest Association (partner),
2. Italy: University of Cagliari (partner),
3. Greece: CIHEAM-Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (partner),
4. Tunisia: National Institute for Research in Rural Engineering, Water and Forestry (partner),
5. Turkey: Technical University of Bursa (partner), Partners will meet 3 times to increase their level of knowledge on lentisk tree, to exchange good practices and to discuss problems, difficulties and challenges in this sector.
Identified best practices and their synthesis will be summarized in easy-to-understand formats, will be translated and disseminated to all stakeholders. Results of the exchanges will be shared during a side event to be organised at a forthcoming international meeting on Mediterranean forests. For any questions, remarks or interest on the MEDLENTISK project, please feel free to contact the MAICh researcher Panagiota Gotsiou (email@example.com) and/or the project coordinator Anaïs Loudières (AIFM) (firstname.lastname@example.org); see also at: https://www.aifm.org/fr/page/medlentisk