- Applicants must have the academic level that qualifies them to undertake doctorate-level studies in their home country and corresponds to a minimum of four years undergraduate studies. Their degree must also be in a discipline compatible with the area of specialisation requested. Additional conditions may be imposed for certain programmes.
- A proven competence in the language used in the educational activities is required.
- Selection is made on the basis of the files submitted by applicants – priority being given to applicants from CIHEAM member countries – and takes account of their academic results and professional experience acquired in the chosen field of specialisation.
- For each Postgraduate Specialisation Programme, the final decision on the admission of applicants is made by the CIHEAM Governing Board, following the recommendations of the Director of the MAI in question.
Closing date for applications for the academic year 2020-2021 : 15th of August 2020
All students are required to provide proof of competence in the English language for entry to the Master's programme run by the Institute. This can be done in a number of ways, by providing the following qualifications and/or certificates, which prove a level of CI in English proficiency, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL):
- The CAMBRIDGE or MICHIGAN Certificate of Proficiency in the English language (CPE)
- A minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS
- A passing grade in the examination for the Advanced Hellenic State Certificate of Foreign Languages
- A minimum score of 213 (for the attainment of the MSc degree) or 173 (for the Master of MAICh diploma) in the computer-based TOEFL
- A minimum score of 79 (for the attainment of the MSc degree) or 61 (for the Master of MAICh diploma) in the internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- A minimum score of 550 (for the attainment of the MSc degree) or 500 (for the Master of MAICh diploma) in the institutional paper-based TOEFL ITP (this exam can only be taken at MAICh).
A passing grade in one of the above examinations exempts the student from attending the preparatory courses held by the Institute for sitting the TOEFL ITP, or from the obligation of re-sitting it. Should a student hold any of the above certificates, he/she is requested to show the original copy to the Administration on arrival at the Institute. No other certificates/qualifications will be considered valid. The only permissible exemption is in the case where a student is a graduate with a Master or Bachelor degree from a university in the USA or UK (or another country where English is the official language).
Please note that a passing grade in an EDEXCEL language exam is NOT deemed adequate proof of competence.
Moreover, students who do not have any of the above qualifications or certificates must obtain a minimum score of 4 (from a possible score range of 1-6) in the Test of Written Englsh (for students wishing to gain admittance into the MSc programme). The TWE test may only be taken at MAICh.
You can apply online here