The project aims to contribute to halting the loss of biodiversity and to promote a sustainable development model in the Mediterranean region by enhancing the conservation of native plants and promoting their use in habitat restoration and the plant production sector.
ECOPLANTMED activities included
• ex situ conservation of selected native plant species and study of seed germination
• edition of a Manual with protocols for the propagation of selected native plant species that can be used for habitat restoration
• edition of a Guide of good restoration practices for Mediterranean habitats
• initiation of two pilot restoration actions using native plants in Lebanon and Tunisia
• organisation of an international conference with the theme “Ecological Restoration in the Mediterranean region: Challenges and Opportunities”
• organisation of events and workshops to raise awareness and involve stakeholders in the production and use of native plants.
CIHEAM Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania - Mediterranean Plant Conservation Unit - Greece